We Are Trying To Have a Baby, but My MIL Decided to Take It Into Her Own Hands
Relationships with mothers-in-law are a delicate matter. Our reader, Sally, has encountered peculiar behavior from her mother-in-law. What makes the situation even more challenging is that in this case, her husband sided with his mother instead of supporting his wife. Now, Sally is seeking advice on how to handle the situation.
We are ready to offer our reader a few pieces of advice that may help her. Firstly, it is important to have an open conversation with your mother-in-law and involve your husband in it. Think in advance about how your mother-in-law can assist you. For instance, ask her to join your fertility-related activities or request her help with cooking. This way, she will still feel engaged without crossing boundaries.
Secondly, in your situation, it would be beneficial to seek the assistance of a therapist. All three of you, including your husband and mother-in-law, should consider consulting with a psychotherapist. This professional can help resolve conflicts, improve communication, and find ways to address the issues.
We decided to find out what our readers think about this situation and how they would act:
- Take the key off her or if not change the lock and don’t give her a spare key. © Maurice Pilkington / Facebook
- It takes two to tango, maybe it’s not the wife, maybe her son, they should get checked up. © Putri Rahman / Facebook
- Wouldn’t it have been a better idea for the MIL to just have a talk with her son and DIL about what she believes will help them. Not be so intrusive as to remover their clothing and replace it with items she has chosen. Personally, I would be really annoyed. Seems like a lot of MIL’s don’t respect privacy boundaries! © Jeanne Leggett Sterling / Facebook
- Change the locks to your home and do not give her a key. Tell your husband that if he gives her a spare key you will leave and that you hide it enough of her interference of your private life and home. © Ilonka Wimmer-Ljungqvist / Facebook
- I’m also a MIL, but I love and respect my DIL. And she also love and respect me. She is like a true daughter to me. © Sonia Villa / Facebook
Here’s another young woman who is about to get married and has already encountered the personality of her future mother-in-law. The woman has decided to join the newlyweds on their honeymoon.